Sunday, January 2, 2011

TwEntY-EleVEn

Ok so it's been two weeks since my last post and boy have we been busy. Let me see if I can back track at all.

So I have been nervous about Christmas and Emerson's 2nd birthday coming but it has come and gone and I couldn't be happier. Yes it was a little sad to think of all the things Emerson should be doing but if I thought about that all the time I would just be down in the dumps all the time and that would be no good. So I took Christmas and her birthday by the horns and enjoyed EVERY single minute of it as we celebrated Emerson's second year here on earth and the birth of Christ.



Well Joseph got an early Christmas present and got tickets to the Hornets game so we went and had a blast. The Hornets even scored 100 points so we got a free chicken wrap from Popeyes which I think was the highlight of my son's night. lol. That's Joseph for ya.



Emerson got soooo much for Christmas and her birthday...... She got a bean bag which is just awesome! When we put her in it, her legs were hitting the floor and her shoes have squeekies in them and when she put pressure through her legs they were squeeking away :) I jumped up looked at her and was like "oh that was Emmy" lol :)

Emmy also got A LOT of really cute clothes, jammies, and bows. She got some really cool light up toys, a "O" ring ball, a peanut ball (to use for therapy--Thanks Nan!), a pillow pet, jewerly; in fact her first set of pearls :), light up star toy, and so much more I can't even remember.

Joseph had a fantastic Christmas as well he made out like a bandit! :)

As for therapy most of the therapist cancelled due to Christmas and New Years but Hilary her PT has been coming faithfully! Not too much has changed in her therapy Emerson is still making small progress but nothing major. Emerson did Hippo Therapy once but it was closed for two weeks because of the holidays and we intend to return on Jan 8th.

One good thing we just found was a new tickle spot on Emmy! The more smiles the better for me! Also too I always put Emmy on her play mat and she likes it but the other week she just seemed so amazed by it. Also she is more relaxed. Now to most normal moms having her arm down at her side and her legs down isn't a big accomplishment but to me and other moms like me it is HUGE! Emmy has had her legs in a frog like position pretty much since we left the hospital. It wasn't constant but anytime her tone would act up her legs would push into that frog position. Well lately she hasn't been and her left arm has been coming center more and relaxed at her side more. Usually it's up in an "L" position and she moves it back and forth almost in the stroke of a hammer. But again like I said lately it's been relaxed and she seems like she's trying to control her movement with it! She's also bringing her hand center more which is excellent but she rubbing and tugging on her trach more. Uh Oh, more careful watching of her that's all. Anyway this improvement is exciting! ^ above see the one not relaxed right arm and the one relaxed left arm :)))) and her legs are down and not in froggy position!!!

Another thing this new year is bringing us is more non-conventional therapies for Emerson. I have been researching my little butt off trying to decide what therapies would benefit Emerson with the help of her Neurologist and our hospital PT Lori. So we have been looking into going to the NAPA center in Los Angles California. It is an intensive therapy that is 3 hours a day for 5 days a week for 3 weeks. It includes therapies like suit therapy, sensory integration, treadmill therapy, massage therapy, electrical muscle stimulation, gait training, alternative chiropractic therapy, auditory/vestibular therapy, and more. If you or someone you know is interested in NAPA center check it out at napacenter.org I have looked into our insurance covering it and unfortunetly they do not which means I will need to come up with about $3,000-$5,000 for Emerson to do this. I am now looking into starting up a fundrasier to get the funds, hopefully we can raise enough money to get Emerson there before May.

 Crafty? I never thought I was but I am. I found on a friends blog a sensory board and it got me thinking Emmy needs one so that's just what I did. I went out and bought all sorts of stuff with different textures to put on it. Ok here's the breakdown...... The board is just a clip board and it's covered in duck tape that was zebra print, cute, I know!!! :))) And at the tope left corner is just a compact mirror. Next to that are some colored different sized fuzzy balls. Next to that is some fuzzy colored pipe cleaner. Under the mirror is a gold birthday horn thing. Then theres a slinky, a peice of sand paper, and a baloon filled with corn starch. Around the board ie, the blue flower the pink heart, and the pink butterfly are gooey sticky things (kinda like those sticky hands you get in the gumball machine). And finally there's her name with stickers that are hot pink and have glitter on them which make for a fun feel. I was so proud of myself when I made this, I honestly didn't think I would do this great of a job. But I did and it's sassy and adorable just like my Emerson Louise! <3



Oh and I have more ideas that I intend to do with my crafty side. It's just begining. lol.

So all in all this new year I hope for many blessings for my family and everyone else. We had a rough 2010 but still had things to be grateful for and we are very grateful for them. So 2011 can only be better right? I sure hope so. "Be joyful always!" And have a
Happy Blessed New Year!



1 comment:

  1. If you need any help with a fund raiser just let me know!

    ReplyDelete